Looking to purchase an old home? Let NY Inspection Pros inspect your potential purchase and make sure that you are making a sensible investment that will not become the second coming of “The Money Pit.”
Sure, the majority of homebuyers purchasing an older home know that a considerable amount may be needed to get the home up to today’s standards, but let NY Inspection Pros guide you and help you determine if the home is a sound investment or a mistake.
Sometimes, peeling back the layers of an old home will expose a number of issues, including:
- Lead paint and asbestos: These hazardous building materials were a staple of early home construction. The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) estimates that 87 % of homes built prior to 1940 contain lead paint and the presence of asbestos is most dangerous when its fibers are released into the air. The experts at NY Inspection Pros can spot these harmful, yet common, building materials and can assist in the proper removal of these hazardous materials.
- Outdated electrical systems: Many electrical issues are “invisible” and exist behind walls. Our experts will test outlets and seek out frayed and cracked wiring, as inadequate and poor wiring can lead to electrical issues and potential electrical fires.
- Roofing issues: The experts at NY Inspection Pros will examine the roof of the home, making sure that the shingles are properly aligned when necessary, inspecting any patch jobs for leaks and improper repair, and ensure proper grading to avoid the pooling of water and potential leaks.
- Plumbing: Old supply and waste pipes are examined for leaks and proper drainage. Oftentimes, old plumbing pipes are mixed with new plumbing technology, and our experts ensure the compatibility of these components will function for years to come.
- Mold and mildew issues: Our experts will examine ceilings and those hard-to-access areas for mold and mildew issues that may cause both structural damage and potential health issues. The presence of leaks and moisture damages the frame of the home and drywall, resulting in costly construction down the line. The professionals at [INSERT NAME] can zero in on any irregularities and get to the root of the issue.
- Old windows and doors: Do the doors and windows latch properly and are aligned with their respective frames? Gaps and cracks in doorways and window frames leads to loss of heat in the winter and AC in the summer. We report on any issues with doors or windows and make suggestions in our final report on if slight adjustments can be made or a complete overhaul of these systems is necessary.
- Energy efficiency: Tied to the aforementioned window and door inspection, our experts rate the energy efficiency of old homes, as a lack of insulation and other energy inefficiencies can be upgraded to save money down the line. With many opting to go green, we check the integrity of the roofing structure to determine if the installation of solar panels is an option.
- Contractor work and home improvements: Old homes over the years have likely experienced a number of minor repairs. Our expert crew takes a look at these repairs and determines if the repairs made are sufficient and up to code.
The infrastructure of an old home is much like opening a Pandora’s Box. Mystery lies behind each wall and NY Inspection Pro is here to help you determine if the old home of your dreams is a sound investment in your future.